I was recently asked to help with a service project at our school. Parent volunteers are making curtains for all the classroom windows! They are going to be so nice!
Our school will be attaching the curtains to the door using velcro. If your school isn’t doing that you can use magnets, or ribbon loops with 3M hooks instead.
There are two magnets at the base of the curtain which will help it stay in place when in use. If you don’t want the magnets to be visible on the outside of the curtain, select a darker fabric print.
A ribbon and button will hold up the curtain when it is not being used.
This is a quick and easy project and can usually be completed in 15 – 30 minutes.
- 3/4 yard of cotton fabric (this is enough fabric for two curtains)
- 1/2 yard ribbon (1/4 inch wide) – (You will need more if you plan to attach the curtain using loops)
- One Button (3/4 – 1 inch wide)
- Sew-on Velcro (Loop side only – Approximately 1/4 yard)
- Two Magnets (18mm) – (I needed 6 magnets to attach the curtain to the frame without the velcro)
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric Marking Tool
- Zipper foot (optional, but may be necessary on some machines)
- Basic Sewing supplies (pins, scissors, etc.)